Today I have the biggest race of my season to date. Its really important for me to control my nerves and handle my emotions. Every athlete is different and approaches big days like this in their own way. My coaches and mentors have tried their best to help by using catch phrases and key words to trigger that little thing inside me and hopefully unlock the key to my potential. By now, ive heard pretty much the same thing over and over again....so why am i not a world champion yet? Have all my coaches been wrong? Maybe I just don't have what it takes? But why is it that two athletes with seemingly the same physical abilities sometimes compete at such different competition levels?
This is not the first time I've been accused of selective hearing- my parents used to tell me things a million times but they would never get the response they wanted if i wasn't actively listening when they were talking.This is slightly different though, this time I AM listening, and I'm trying my hardest to absorb what I'm being told and apply it. This makes me think that there must be something more to it.
Why is it that my teammates and I could all be told to do the same workout and given the same cues to think about and they go out and run super human and I struggle just to finish? I see how they respond, physically and emotionally and I know that that response is the difference between a good athlete like myself and GREAT athletes like them. The words come into our ears the same way but on our way to our hearts, everything has to pass through our heads.....that's where things can get a little messy.
Controlling your thoughts at this level is as tough as physically preparing your body. It's important to find your personal sweet spot. No one can really tell you how to do this, its a trail you have to blaze yourself if you want it to be strong enough to battle the physical pain and mental intimidation of this World Stage. YOU are the only one with the power to change what goes on in your head and how you respond to it. It is when you accumulate too many negative feelings by this act of free will, that bad things start happening in your life. Good karma, prayers, and well wishes are all examples of this power of positive energy. Even though I know this concept to be true, I have yet to harness it. God has a plan for me, he has given me these opportunities for a reason. There is great potential inside all of us....the champions are those that have found a way to release it and share it with the rest of the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment