Eugene, Oregon….the influx of temporary stands began a month
ago, the tents in the streets and the practice fields came a week ago, the
vendors moved in a few days ago, the fans and athletes and volunteers got here
yesterday….this thing is really happening!
Yesterday, as I entered the stadium, I hugged my roommate from a meet I
did last summer. She is a hammer thrower
and just won the competition on Thursday, punching her ticket to London! In the 10k’s, other past teammates and
friends sealed the deal for themselves.
For some
athletes, watching the races and being in the stadium is a negative thing
before their own competition. For me, it
is inspirational! It makes me feel so
lucky to be able to get out there myself! So much emotion gets put into a meet
like this. I have never experienced
anything quite like it- people putting it all out there every single race! What everyone sees on TV or from the stands
is such a small piece of the reality of the sport. The training leading up to
this day for many athletes has been a culmination of years! There is nothing the media can capture and feed to the
audience that could help them understand that part of it better than just
watching. Without words, the athletes
cross the line, tears and blood, sweat and exhaustion…..and suddenly everyone gets
it. By the end of the ten days, normal
spectators leaving the stadium look as if they had just run a 10k
themselves. It is incredibly draining
while at the same time, incredibly rewarding even just watching.
The closer
I get to ‘my turn’ the more excited I am.
Everyday I think of it less as ‘Judgement Day’ and more as just a chance
to do what I do. To perform like I have
trained. This is my life. This is my chance to shine. I have such an amazing support network behind
me, of which I am reminded every single day with words of encouragement, phone
calls, text messages, and email notes. I
couldn’t be more thankful for the people who have picked me up at various
stages of my life and given me a boost in one way or another. I am excited for this chance to make them
proud. This is so fun! Here I
am…healthy, happy, prepared. What more
can anyone ask for? There is only one thing
could make me more complete right now….maybe a new set of rings and a little
European vacation?J!?
Let the races begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment