Wow. There is really no better way to describe the Olympic
Village. We packed an overnight bag and
caught the train across town for the first time the day before the Opening
Ceremonies. We zigzagged our way around
fences and through gates to get our passes (credentials) and before we knew it,
we were there- looking up at a neighborhood of high-rise apartments. Dotting the balconies and windows were flags
from all countries imaginable. People
wearing athletic gear in every color of the rainbow wandered around gawking
with the same expression I knew I wore as I took it all in. Following
instructions, I found my room and opened the door to more gifts than I ever
found under the Christmas tree! Two duffle bags and two backpacks filled with
Ralph Lauren and Nike, hats, shirts, shorts, sweaters, sunglasses, shoes, and
undergarments. An Olympic addition comforter covered my bed and Procter and
Gamble toiletry items were waiting there for my convenience! Six girls shared
my suite- three rooms of two and one single- with two bathrooms. It was a pretty high powered group- the
fastest women in the world this year and the world gold medalist in the 1500m
are among them- but then again, everyone around here is something to talk
about!
The dining
hall was as amazing as I had been told.
It was a huge building several football field lengths long with food
from every region of the world! To clear up any confusion, there IS, in fact, a
large McDonalds with almost a full menu of their usual goodies- all free! This
situation will be amazing when I am finished competing but before, it takes
incredible self-control and a game plan going in! For someone like myself who
is VERY indecisive, all these options are a little overwhelming. The amount of
people that flow through is what blows your mind…just seeing so many bodies in
one place, in lines, constantly moving, pressuring you to hurry up because they
are hungry behind you! YIKES!
The
experience of the opening ceremonies is also something I have been told a lot
about and was anxious to see what my personal experience would be. There was
some concern about our outfits because despite having been custom fitted, many
of them were coming back to us VERY wrong.
And those that were complaining, were the people who had actually received
theirs….many were being delivered in quite a laid-back fashion and with only
hours to spare, some people still hadn’t been given anything to wear!
In the end things worked themselves
out and despite the usual gripes and moans, everyone came to the meeting point
that night primped and groomed and looking great! With the range of shapes and
sizes and people that Team USA is made up of, I was curious to see how we would
turn out looking. In my opinion, Ralph Lauren did a fabulous job choosing an
outfit that seemed to flatter everyone. Track and Field hung together early,
mostly taking pictures with friends among ourselves but as we stood around,
people began to get brave and venture to meet other sports. Basketball won the award for Most Coveted
Pictures, as they were practically mobbed!
We officially lined up around 9:00 and we stood around taking pictures
and mingling for about an hour before we began moving. As we paraded toward the stadium, we were
greeted by people who had not been able to get tickets to the ceremony. They lined our path, cheering excitedly and
flashing pictures of TEAM USA!!! Aside from random clips of audio we would
occasionally pick up indicating what country was being announced, there were no
screens or warnings or anything for us to know what was going on ahead of
us. Our long, slow, start-stop walk
began to drag on and get old, but the fatigue onset was countered by the growing
anticipation as the massive Stadium loomed closer by the second. We entered
through a tunnel, backstage and quiet…..suddenly we were walking out to the
roar of thousands of people! The stands were in shadows but the flash of a
zillion cameras and phones sparkled high up into the sky, reminding us just how
tall the seats rose around us. Huge TV
cameras swung out on arms around us and down from wires above. Drummers created
a constant pounding that synced up with the beat of our excited hearts. There
was so much to look at, so much to feel, so much to try to absorb!
I had lost
my friends in the commotion and was just doing my best to get to the outside,
hoping to somehow get onto a broadcast back home. We did a loop around the floor and ended in a
mash of athletes in the center.
Wow, I am here!
Looking up at the screen, I tried
my best to pay attention to the speaker and the program through all the flashes
and music. At one point, I began to feel
everyone around me closing in tight and looked up to see Koby Bryant 5 feet
away- mingling and being mobbed with people trying to get a picture! High in
the stands I could pick out the Queen herself surrounded by the royal family
watching the show. I must have looked like a deer in headlights spinning around
and around trying to see everything all at once! When it was all over, I walked
back to the village by myself, buzzing with disbelief and appreciation for this
amazing opportunity!
By the time
I got back to Bushy Park the next day I found myself subconsciously
decompressing. While the ceremony had
certainly been a thrill, I misjudged how emotionally draining the whole Village
experience was! As I returned to the comfort of this relaxed environment, I
noticed the contrast like fire and water. First moving into the Village, I
dreaded the crosstown train-trek back and forth but now realized how much I
needed the chance to recharge here for a few more days. I could now collect myself, process things,
and return to the chaos with the right perspective. It had been a great way to
kick off the experience but now it was back to the real task at hand. As
enthralled as I was about the ceremony, I was even more excited to realize how
amped up I was for my chance to compete and actually take part in the event,
doing what I love. In the past, at big
meets like this, I am so overwhelmed with the overall experience that my race
almost fades in importance but this year was going to be different! I could
already feel it!
No comments:
Post a Comment